Celebrant Led Wedding Ceremonies

Iris Rose Ceremonies can help you create the perfect wedding ceremony that really reflects you as a couple. I am trained to support couples with planning each aspect of the ceremony including any symbolic elements. You may wish to be traditional and exchange rings but could also include other rituals and symbols to help mark this special moment in life.

Do you want to get married outdoors? Then you need a celebrant!

Do you want to get married in an unregistered venue? Then you need a celebrant!

Do you want a bespoke ceremony that reflects you as a couple? Then you need a celebrant!

Exchanging rings.

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”

Lao Tzu
Flowers - celebrant symbolic elements
Wedding Ceremonies

Ceremony Symbolic Elements:

Exchanging rings – It is traditional for a couple to exchange wedding rings after they say their vows. Since these rings are symbols of the marriage, the words said during a ring exchange should reflect the couple’s hopes for their marriage.” Google

Handfasting is a rural folkloric and neopagan custom, initially found in western European countries, in which a couple hold a commitment ceremony. The commitment may be seen as temporary and secular, or of a longer, spiritual variety, depending on the context.” Taken from Wikipedia.

There are an infinite number of symbolic elements to choose from. You could choose to use traditional symbols or more personal touches; flowers, stones, sand, water are to mention but a few.

Can a celebrant marry us legally? Well no…because:

Registering a Marriage is a legal process

This can not be completed by a celebrant but this process can be carried out at your local register office either before or after the ceremony.

The process of this takes about 20 minutes, requires 2 witnesses at the registry office and costs around £50. It can be conducted before, on the day, after or never (if you don’t wish to make your marriage legal). The rest of your ceremony can be conducted anywhere by your celebrant.

There are 3 steps:

  1. Declaratory words

“I do solemnly declare that I know not of any lawful impediment why I….may not be joined in matrimony”

  • Contracting words

“I call upon these persons here present, to witness that I ……do take thee ……to be my lawful wedded husband /wife/partner

  • The signing of the marriage register.

The information presented below is taken from the government website: https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships

You can get married or form a civil partnership in England or Wales if you are:

  • 16 or over
  • not already married or in a civil partnership
  • not closely related

Same-sex couples can get married, form a civil partnership or convert a civil partnership into a marriage in England or Wales.

Give notice:

You must sign a legal statement at your local register office to say you intend to get married or form a civil partnership. This is known as ‘giving notice’.

You must give notice at least 29 days before your ceremony.

For example, if you give notice on 1 May, the earliest date you can get married or form a civil partnership is 30 May.

You must hold your ceremony within 12 months of ‘giving notice’.

The process of giving notice might be different for Anglican weddings – check with the wedding venue.

Fees for giving notice You will need to pay a fee to give notice at the register office.

Please remember that the ‘ceremony’ part of a wedding is ceremonial and can be performed at any location and time with your celebrant.